Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

April Vokey is the Real Deal


Vokey6




A very pretty angler caught my eye late one night while I was flipping T.V. channels. Her name was April Vokey. April is a writer, television personality, and a steelhead guide. She is also a conservationist that has a love for the great outdoors and the environment that is ingrained in her very soul.

As I watched her show “Shorelines,” I realized that I was watching someone special. She was truly more about fishing and conservation that she was about money. It was refreshing to see a show that wasn’t trying to cram the latest fad product down your throat every few minutes.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand a program needs sponsorship in order to survive. These days, most fishing shows focus more on product sales than on fishing. To me this is all very sad. It was even sadder to me when I found out April’s show had been cancelled after only one season.

More shows need a format like April’s show had; a format that teaches up and coming generations the traditions that are quickly becoming lost. It seems that today’s generation is being taught how to make money in a thirty minute time slot rather than how to fish, and the value of our grandfathers.

                                                                                     Lowell Henderson



No comments:

Post a Comment