Total Pageviews

Monday, July 5, 2021

What bait are you throwing?

 


For as long as I can remember fishermen have been asking each other, “Hey man what did you catch that fish on?” Or they may want to know what color lure you were using or how fast were you working the bait. While these are all good questions, I feel like they often overlook the most important question. Instead, they are looking for some magic bait. Quick note…there are no magic baits.

I too asked the same questions for years until I realized that wasn’t what I really needed to know. A better question for me now is “What type of area were you fishing when you caught all those fish?” You see finding fish is much harder than catching fish. Many fishermen are really, good at the fundamentals of fishing such as casting, cranking, flipping, pitching, and so forth and so on. But all that is useless if you aren’t fishing where the fish are.    

The best way to consistently catch fish is to learn their seasonal patterns. Knowing where a bass should be living at the time of year you are fishing is the biggest tool in your proverbial tackle box. This is something I often struggle with myself, especially when fishing my home lake. Instead of thinking things through properly I am often guilty of fishing places I have caught fish before.

Knowing how to locate productive water will not only help you be successful on your home lake, it will help you everywhere else you go as well.

Have a great day. Be safe on the water.

Lowell Henderson


Check out one of my latest videos - https://youtu.be/9AAZOFV7Z_E

No comments:

Post a Comment