Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 7, 2020

I Was Witnessing History

 

Somewhere around 1970 my parents moved us to Eufaula Alabama. Part of that time my dad worked at the Chewalla Marina. Being only in grade school at that time, little did I know that I was witnessing history in the making. Tournament bass fishing was in its very, early stages and Lake Eufaula was on fire.


 

Being that parents weren’t so overprotective back in those days, I was allowed to roam the marina and fish many days while dad worked…awesome. From what I remember, whatever bait dad provided me with for the day is what I used. Eating supper was kinda they same way back then. Some days I would fish for carp with a bag of carp dough, which by the way smelled a lot like play doh. Loved that stuff. Other days I would fish for gar off the marina back porch with live minnows.

 

I think what stuck with me the most was bass fishing. Dad would tie me on a random lure and I would use that sucker all day, or at least until I slung it off and needed another one. I think those early days gave me the confidence that I have until this day.


 

I think more kids need to spend time in the great outdoors and less time on games and cell phones…unless they’re watching my fishing videos…lol. Kidding aside, being outside is an education in itself. The outdoors will teach you things you simply can’t get in a book or from watching on TV. These are my thoughts for the day. Let me know what you think in the comments below. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment