Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Another life lost on a boat ramp



Only weeks ago the fishing world was rocked, when 53 years old Gregg Hawkins, was murdered as he ended a fine day out on the water. Today, it saddens us all again as we begin hearing of 18 years old Keith Poche’s murder, as he finished up a day of fishing. Times certainly have changed since I started fishing many years ago. Never was I afraid to fish alone in my boat and come in late at night by myself. It just never crossed my mind to worry about be mugged or killed at the boat ramp.

 

At this time when gun control is such a big deal, I’m going to have to say that if Mr. Poche was armed he would still be with us today. Most fishermen fish with a partner, many do not. A lone fisherman on an empty boat ramp late at night is an easy target. If you are going to put yourself in that situation, arm yourself. Keep your cell phone and your firearm close at hand. Safety is no longer just an on the water thing. It’s terribly sad, but it’s true.

 

If possible I suggest always fishing with a partner. Sometimes this alone will keep you safe. Criminals are cowards and usually only prey on easy, single, targets. Since I have started my You Tube channel, Simply Fishing, I mostly fish by myself. There is no room for a partner in my kayak, and I do my own camera work. Yes, this does make me nervous at times. Many places I plan on going, I have never been before. Will being afraid keep me from fishing, I don’t think so. I take my own advice on this one. I keep my fire arm on me at all times, and my cell phone close too. I’m not afraid to use either.

 

Anglers, as you finish up your day of fishing, look around to see who is left. If there is one person left all alone, do the right thing, hang around and make sure everyone gets home safely. It’s these little things that separate the good guys from the bad guys.

https://youtu.be/hD0Ow-Ic3D4 My Simply Fishing You Tube channel




No comments:

Post a Comment