Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Litter...What can We Really Do?


Over the years, as a fisherman I have spent thousands of hours on the water. During that time, I have seen all kinds of people, places, things, animals and incidents. Other than boaters not respecting one another, the one thing that really bothers me is littering. I realize that every now and then a boater may accidentally let a piece of trash blow out of the boat while going down the lake. But, this isn’t really the issue I would like to deal with today. More and more I see trash out on our waterways that has just been intentionally thrown out on purpose. Much of this trash, comes from us fishermen.




The summer months brings out the pleasure boaters and the partiers to the lake, which also adds to the amount of garbage left behind at the end of the day. While this doesn’t surprise me, it does sadden me. The reason litter on our lakes doesn’t surprise me is easy enough. We as a people have forgotten how to treat each other much less the great outdoors. So…what can we really do to fight this problem? Well, for starters we can start cleaning up our mess. It’s not going to be easy and it won’t be quick either. Our waterways didn’t get this way overnight and they won’t be cleaned up overnight.



Here’s what I suggest for starters. As we spend time out on the water, lets vow to pick up one or two pieces of trash every time we are there. That will be easy, there’s lots of trash out there. Lets put the heat on anyone we see littering in or around the lake. Don’t have to get crazy about it just let them know you don’t appreciate it.




While I plan to start doing my part I’m going to offer a little incentive to some of you to help as well. If your club or organization has a clean-up day, I want to know about it. Let me know when and where you cleaned up and I will personally give your group a shout out on both my next blog and TV show. Alabama has some of the most beautiful waterways in the world, let us keep them that way.



If you’d like to send me pictures or videos of what your group has done that would be awesome. I’ll leave you my e-mail below. Together we can and will make a difference.



Lowell Henderson




Ps. If you send me an e-mail please put “Waterway Clean Up” in the subject. That way I’ll know it’s not spam. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment